NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center Scientific Visualization Studio
For further info and to see the video. Click here.
CLIMATE DEMOCRACY & JUSTICE SUMMIT
INTERNATIONAL SUMMIT AND AMBASSADOR TRAINING TAKING GLOBAL GOVERNANCE TO THE NEXT LEVEL
Corfu & Epirus Greece
July 22-26 2019
The Center for United Nations Constitutional Research is organizing an international Climate Democracy Summit as part of its Climate Justice Series in Greece. We invite you to join us for a week of presentations and brainstorming workshops on the gaps in the global governance of climate – and how to take real action to fix it.
Former Special Advisor to UN Secretary-General
Maria Ivone Soares
Member of Parliament
Dr. Sam Deese
Coalition for the International Criminal Court (ICC)
Dr. Jamie Sommer
Dr. Pendo Maro
Africa Caribbean Pacific States (ACP)
Recipient of the Rafto Prize
Lecturer on European and Asian Affairs
Democracy Without Borders
Dr. Hana Umezawa
Dr. Thomas Muinzer
University of Dundee
Dr. Otto Spijkers
Dr. Shahr-yar Sharei
CUNCR Executive Director
AND OTHER DISTINGUISHED SPEAKERS
Who Governs the Climate?
Climate Change and the Future of Democracy
Voices of Africa for Climate Justice
A Global Parliamentary Assembly as a way forward for Climate Justice
The Sustainable Development Goals
Uniting the Samurais of the United Nations
Climate Justice through the International Courts?
WE WANT YOUTH FOR CLIMATE JUSTICE
The Center for UN Constitutional Research is looking for two young leaders in the area of climate justice from each continent, plus small island nations, to learn about how global governance relates to climate change – and what we can do to get system change, not climate change.
We’ve lined up academics and experts from Africa, Asia, Europe, and the Americas to give their perspectives and expertise on how to get climate justice before it’s too late, and let “we the peoples” govern the climate.
Our First Sponsored Climate Ambassador, Litia Baleilevuka, from Fiji
Interested in becoming a climate ambassador?
If you consider yourself to be a prominent young climate defender, you can apply for an
expenses-paid sponsorship. You are also welcome to attend at your expense. Please contact us for fee information. Email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
FROM CLIMATE CHANGE MARCHES TO CLIMATE AMBASSADORS
CUNCR is committed to sponsoring two young leaders from each continent plus small island developing nations. In addition to adding their own experiences and expertise to these important discussions, youth participants will benefit from training workshops on how to strengthen climate activism with a strengthened understanding of governance. Experts and academics from around the world will share their wealth of knowledge, and young leaders will be able to meet and brainstorm to share strategies and coordinate efforts globally.
Beyond the sponsored youth from each continent, any climate activists who wish to benefit from this training at their own expense or with outside funding are also very welcome to attend.
PROGRAM AND SCHEDULE (Tentative)
Sunday, 21 July:
- Pre-seminar lodging, informal gathering (optional)
Monday, 22 July:
- Morning (1/2 Day Session at Corfu Reading Society): Registration and intro to Climate Democracy
- Who Governs our Climate?
- Critical lectures/panel on the topic of Climate Justice, and the rights of global citizens, by academic scholars, and practitioner/policy makers.
- 7:00 pm: Rally for Climate Action and march to historic Corfu town center
Tuesday, 23 July:
- Morning: Ferry to Igoumenitsa and bus to Epirus
- Afternoon: Critical lectures/panel on the topic of Climate Justice, and the rights of global citizens, by academic scholars, and practitioner/policymakers
Wednesday, 24 July:
- Early Morning: Hike (optional)
- Morning: Climate Ambassador Training Workshops
- Afternoon: Round-tables and further working sessions
- Evening: Epirus Declaration and book launch on the top of Vikos Gorge
Thursday, 25 July:
- Early Morning: Hike (optional)
- Morning: Conclusion of Climate Ambassador Training Workshops
- Afternoon: Rafting Trip
- Evening: Giving of certificates, reception, plus dinner at premises and music
Friday, 26 July:
- Vikos Gorge Crossing (optional)